Why do we encourage all of our couples to have an E Session? To get to know your photographer? To feel comfortable in front of the camera? For us to see how you interact as a couple? To use for your save the date cards? Yes absolutely! But for me the overwhelming reason I want you to have an E Session is so you don't feel like I did having my photo taken on my wedding day. I want you to look back on your wedding photos and remember the joy of the day, the emotion, the excitement and the time spent with family and friends.
In contrast, I look back at my wedding photos and can still feel the anxiety of having an older imposing male, albeit a very experienced, polite and well known photographer in the late '80's put me in positions that I didn't feel comfortable in, lounging around on a couch or a bed and looking longingly at my bouquet of flowers (well at least they were real flowers unlike those in my very stylish headband!).
I had never been comfortable having my photo taken, always considered myself un-photogenic (apparently this is a family curse), had a tendency to squint when I smiled, had thin lips and hated my large nose so a profile pic was out of the question. I was also a bit of a tom boy, preferring to wear pants to dresses, didn't have a clue how to apply makeup or nail polish and certainly didn't wear heels! So leading up to the day I was already anxious about having all the attention on me and didn't really need the added stress of being uncomfortable with the photographer
So how does an engagement photo shoot or 'E session' as we like to refer to them here at Magnolia Images, alleviate all this anxiety?
1. Your E session will allow you to get to know the photographer and be comfortable with them - after all it's the photographer who spends most of the day with you.
2. Most of us don't automatically know the most flattering way to stand or sit, how to minimise body parts or what to do with our hands so we provide tips and direction to make you look your best and give you confidence. You also get to see the images well before the wedding day so you can see the results of this direction.
3. There is absolutely no pressure during the E session. On the wedding day time is at a premium but we take a more relaxed pace during an E session. It's an opportunity to practice being in front of the camera, to spend time together as a couple and to get some fun shots along the way.
What are the other benefits of an E Session?
4. As photographers we get to see how you interact as a couple, what poses work best for you and what your comfort level is.
5. It's a great excuse to pamper yourself and try out your hair and makeup before your wedding.
6. It's a great time to ask any questions you may have of your photographer.
7. You will have some great images to use for save the date cards, guest book at the wedding or just some lovely images of the two of you as a couple.
8. If you have children who will be a part of the wedding party consider bringing them to the E session. Just as it helps you to know the photographer before the big day, it is also important for any young children to feel comfortable.
Other things to consider:
9. Select a location for your E Session that has significance to you as a couple. If you spend a lot of time at the beach why not have your photos on the pier, at the beach, eating ice cream or perhaps a coffee shop or a market has more significance - use your imagination!
Magnolia Images offers E Sessions complimentary with every booking of one of their Wedding Photography Collections. Contact Magnolia Images today.
0423931681 or 0418 330 806